One of the best things you can do for yourself and your family if you have asthma is make a few changes in your apartment or home.
I have blogged about this in the past, but it is so important, I need to repeat it. After many of the ideas, I have a "click here" listed. That will take you to the entry when I blogged about that subject before. Many of these ideas come from my Asthma Doc, others I have found figured out as a designer.
- Remove your shoes when you enter your home. Why? Click here
- Vacuum twice a week with a HEPA filtered vacuum. For more, Click here
- Don't store anything under the bed. Really? Find out more, Click here
- Wash bedding once a week in hot water
- Don't keep stuffed animals on the bed. Why not? Click here
- Replace horizontal blinds with roller shades in the bedroom. For explanation, Click here
- Keep pets outside or at least out of the bedroom
The problem with asthma is that you can take all the asthma medication you want, but if you don't get down to the root of what is causing your symptoms, it won't matter. You need to make your home or apartment a safe and clean place to live. Because what doesn't bother other people will bother those of us with asthma. Many things can make you sneeze and wheeze, and figuring out what those things are can be different for each person.
So try a few of the things listed above and see if you feel better and breathe easier.