(Photo: Fransisco Kjolseth Salt Lake City Tribune)
I read an interesting article today about chocolate milk in schools. Yes, I know it has sugar in it and it isn't the healthiest thing for school lunch. But my kids don't drink plain milk. In fact, Son #2 was allergic to cow's milk when he was younger, but has out grown that allergy.
In the article, there was someone from a health and fitness institute who recommended replacing cow's milk with soy or almond milk. Woah! Surely that person knows that in addition to cow's milk, soy and almond are among the top 8 things that cause allergic reactions and anaphylaxis. Click here for information about common food allergens. I know that people can outgrow milk allergies, but almond (or any tree nut allergy) is usually a life long allergy.
Click here to read the article about the chocolate milk debate.
In a study from the American Academy of Pediatrics Clinical Report Managment of Food Allergies in School Settings they state that "Fatalities were noted to be over represented by children with peanut, tree nut, or milk allergy and among teenagers and those with underlying asthma" Click here to read the article. It's scary to think someone wants to introduce a known food that can kill students into a school!
So, what do you think? Should schools serve cow's milk? Almond milk? Soy milk? Some people are allergic to cow's milk and can't drink what is served in school lunch now. But do we replace it with another known allergan that can also cause anaphylaxis and death?
Let me know your thoughts