(Good Morning America/Yahoo photo and article)
This story caught my eye yesterday. Scented candles and air freshners are something I try to avoid because of my allergies and asthma (not to mention my 3 kid's allergies and asthma-and Hubby's allergies) What a bunch of genetic defects we are!
This article talks about an announcement from the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. At their annual conference this week, they said that candles and air freshners can cause allergy symptoms, make existing allergies worse and make asthma worse. To read the story, click here.
Sure, these make our house smell good (I live in a historic home which doesn't always smell so "fresh and new") but I have always avoided any type of air freshners. Asthma Doc has always told me NOT to use them.
So, what's the big deal with using air freshners? In the article, it talks about all of the toxic things that come along with the "fresh scent" of candles and air freshners. There are all sorts of chemicals in the "fresh" smelling air freshners that have been linked to "an increased risk of asthma in children." It also can cause headaches, eye irritation, dizziness, respiratory irritation and even memory impairment. Wow!
I think I'll pass on using scented candles or air freshners. We have enough problems already in our family when it comes to breathing.
Guess I'll just have to bake some chocolate chip cookies instead to make the house smell good......mmmmmmm