Yogurt tube causing an asthma attack?

 




 

 

 

 

 

What causes an asthma attack? 

It's not a simple answer - different things can cause an asthma attack for different people. 
 
And it can change over time. 
 
But I just discovered a new asthma trigger. 
 
Squishy tubes of yogurt.

Weird, huh? Yogurt?! 
 
I know that one of my triggers is cold temperatures, so I've always been careful. I ate a squishy tube of yogurt, and I don't know why it affected me so much. But as soon as I had eaten it, the 'hard' cough started and I could just feel my chest tightening up. 
 
Then came the mucus in the lungs and hours spent coughing that up.

I used my inhaler, but still was having a hard time breathing, I had to prop myself up on the couch to sleep that night. 
It was hard to sleep because I had to wait for my heart rate to come back down.

What else can cause asthma attacks? 
  • Any 'irritant' like perfume, cleaning supplies, scented candles, incense, candle melts, and bad air quality. 
  • Also allergens-animals, flowers, trees, grass, pollen, mold, dust, cockroaches, even food. I am allergic to seafood, Son #2 is allergic to tree nuts.
  • Respiratory infections are another cause or "trigger" of asthma attacks. Even exercise can trigger an attack. So can strong emotions. Son #2 has a great belly laugh, but once he starts, the cough always follows.

It helps to write down what you ate or were around at the time of the asthma attack. Sometimes you may never know. I had an asthma attack at a national retail store while I was shopping for a baby gift. 
 
I still have no idea what caused it.

Make sure you have an inhaler handy too, because asthma can be unpredictable.

It may take a little detective work, but keep a little notebook nearby to record what you ate or were around, because each person in your family can have different triggers.

The best thing is to avoid what causes your asthma attacks, I will never eat another squishy yogurt tube again. I eat plain yogurt all the time, and may cough a little, but nothing like Friday night. I don't know if the squishy yogurt tube was thicker or somehow colder, or what caused the problem. 
 
Everyone else in the family can eat them and not have a problem.

It just goes to show that everyone is different and every asthma cause or "trigger" can be different too. Know what yours (or your kid's ) are and avoid them. 
 





Comments

  1. I think allergies and could play most important role for Asthma attack. People who have any kind of allergies, they have some risks with Asthma attack.
    facial surgery

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment