Input for new asthma education packet


 

 
 I am developing a "Newly Diagnosed Packet" for asthma and would like some input! I have found a lot of information here and there, but haven't found something that seems to cover all areas of asthma. 
 
For most people, getting all of the information at once can be overwhelming. I was given 30 pages of printouts from the internet by the respiratory therapist while Son #2 was in the hospital for the first time.
 
That is how I was educated about asthma!

I was so confused and couldn't make sense of any of it! Fast forward 11 years, and I know more than I ever cared to about asthma! (12 combined hospitalizations for 2 of my kids and many, many doctor visits every year)

I am designing something that would be broken down into sections (asthma basics/signs and symptoms/triggers/medications etc) That way, people can just read the section that they need.


  • What are some of the things that you wish you would have known when you first learned about asthma?
  • What are some of the things that are still confusing?
  • Are there things you have tried that work? (medications, made changes to your home)
  • Things you have tried that didn't work? (medications, alternative therapies, etc)
  • What would you tell other parents?
  • Anything else you would like to see in an educational asthma packet?


I know most people read this as an online diary and don't offer a lot of comments, but here's your chance to let me know what you think! 
 
Asthma is a very different disease, with strange words and weird medications and treatments. (It can take a while to feel comfortable using a nebulizer, inhaler, spacer, peak flow meter, etc)

So put those thinking caps on, and let me know what you think I should add!

Comments