Low fume paint for asthma


Lowe's "Zero Voc" paint


Many of you who have been reading this blog for a while know that my first bachelor's degree is in Interior Design, and I feel that it's my duty to "practice" new ideas on my house to keep my skills sharp!


Part of that includes painting, and a new coat of paint is the cheapest and easiest way to change the whole look of a room. 
 
If you have ever painted a room, you know how strong the paint smell can be. Being able to open windows and doors and have a little fresh air is a must. 
 
Strong scents that don't bother other people can set off an asthma attack for someone with asthma. I tell people that when you have asthma, your body reacts like a "Drama Queen" and over-reacts to everything!
 
The technical term of what happens with the lungs is that they are hypersensitive and hyper-responsive. Which means our lungs are extra sensitive to smells, pollen, pollutants, etc. And when they are exposed to any of asthma triggers, they tend to over react by swelling, tightening, and producing mucus.

I found this "Zero VOC" paint at Lowe's,. VOC's are volatile organic compounds, and my lungs don't like VOC's. I have used it before and there is very little smell to it. When I used this brand of paint to paint other rooms in the house, it didn't bother any of us or our asthma. I'm sure some of the other home-improvement or paint stores have similar paint.

Just one more little tidbit to think about if you have any spring cleaning and home improvement projects coming up. 
 
Any little thing I can do to make breathing easier for myself and my kids, I am all for it!






Comments