Driver's license renewal and asthma?

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Who knew you had to get permission from your doctor to drive if you have asthma? 

It's been a while since I renewed my driver's license since In fact, I am one of those people you hate. I have NEVER had a ticket (and let's say I've been driving for quite a while.....) 
 
So my driver's license division just sends me a renewal every four years.

Check to see what is needed for your state or country.

In my state, you need a doctor's clearance if you have an inhaler, because it falls under the "pulmonary medical condition.) 
 
Weird, right? 
 
That means every few years, I have to take a form to my doctor to fill out that says I can safely drive a car, even though I have asthma. I don't know what idiot came up with that rule, because it's really annoying.
 
I have to take time off work, drive across the county to my doctor, have him fill out the form, and then ask them to fax it to the Driver's License Division. One year, the Driver's License Division claimed they didn't get the fax, so they revoked my driving privilege. 
 
Not kidding.  

So I had to send the form Certified Mail (so they couldn't say that they didn't get it.) After that, I would have the office fax it, but then I would go to the post office and send it Certified Mail. 

What a hassle.

I'm not sure what the concern is about drivers having asthma? Maybe they think I'll stop breathing suddenly (a possibility for anyone that has an asthma attack) and that could really cause a problem if you are driving! 
 
Some people need an oxygen tank to breathe, and that's in the same "pulmonary medical condition." But I think using oxygen to breathe, and needing an occasional puff of Albuterol are two completely different categories!

More fun with asthma! 
It's always causing extra little problems in my life. But, I am still alive and breathing, and so are all three of my kids. Always a bonus.

Just another fun little trivia (and warning) if you drive. You may need to take an extra trip to the doctor's office and get permission to drive. The things we take for granted......

Comments

  1. very interesting. hmm... I'll have to keep that in mind when Alorah gets hers. that never would have occurred to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also check for heart conditions, seizures, etc. But I wasn't sure what the problem was of being on a maintenance medication vs just using a rescue inhaler-

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment