Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved



Friday, March 22, 2013

School banning Axe body spray after student has life threatening reaction






(Shutterstock image)

There was a student at a school in Eastern Pennsylvania who was rushed to the hospital with a life-threatening allergic reaction to Axe Body spray. The CBS news article  said that the student had his throat close up three different times in nine days after smelling the spray.

The school nurse had to inject the student with an Epi Pen the last time before he was transported to the hospital to be treated. That student was lucky that the school nurse was there. Our school nurse covers between 5-8 schools. The chances that she would be there if my son had anaphylaxis is zero. My son is allergic to tree nuts. Not to be confused with peanuts. A peanut is actually from the legume family. My son is allergic to nuts that come from trees (walnuts, almonds, cashews, etc.)

I wonder if the student was carrying an Epi Pen or if the school had a "stock" Epi Pen on hand for emergencies. Our county health department works with our three local school districts to make sure every school has a "stock" Epi Pen. Just in case. Some students can have their first anaphylaxis reaction at school. They may not know they are allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, soy, milk, wheat, etc.

Many people don't realize that strong fragrances can cause an allergic reaction or asthma attack. I have actually had an asthma attack from someone who sat down next to me in a movie theater and was wearing strong perfume. I've only had it happen once. But it's scary. And I just had an asthma attack, not anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can kill you in a matter of minutes.

That student is now being home schooled. Smart move by his parents. The school had asked all students to stop wearing Axe body spray or any other fragrance. But I wouldn't count on teenagers listening to that warning. I'm sure there are students who still want to smell good. I think if they had seen the student having an anaphylactic reaction, it would change their mind. I have seen it once with my oldest son (after his weekly allergy shots) and I never want to see it again. EVER.

Please be mindful of those around you who have asthma. Know that any strong fragrance, even scented candles, can affect our breathing. Remember that allergies and asthma make our stupid bodies over-reacting to normal every day things.

Please help keep us alive. Thank you.
 










2 comments:

  1. I suffer from allergies and asthma too. Strong scents are one of the worst triggers, particularly Axe. I am afraid to fly because of this. People do not understand! Awareness and action need to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's a really hard conversation to have with someone - to ask them not to wear Axe body spray or a perfume because it will trigger an asthma attack for me.

      Sometimes I REALLY hate asthma!!

      Delete