Fluctuating weather impacting asthma




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

I had Spring Fever last week. I wore sundresses (with a cardigan sweater of course.) And I was sporting sandals. Never mind that my toes were numb by the time I got to work. I was excited for Spring!

Then it snowed. In fact, we were on the highway and there was just enough snow to make it slippery. We passed 4 accidents in an hour. I couldn't wear sandals because of the snow, and I had to switch back to my winter coat, hat and gloves.

For some parts of the country, this is typical weather. It warms up, then rains or snows. Then warms up, then rains or snows. Annoying, yes. But it can also cause problems with asthma. For some people, changes in the weather can cause problems. They can have problems with temperatures changing (warm to cold or cold to warm) or with humidity levels changing (dry to misty weather or misty to dry weather.)

It's good to know about different triggers (or causes) of asthma attacks. Sometimes you might have a problem with your asthma and aren't sure why. Just knowing what can cause problems is important. That way you can avoid certain situations that might cause an asthma attack. To learn more about possible triggers, there is a list on American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) website. 

You might be surprised about some of the things on the list that can trigger asthma attacks.

I had an asthma attack once in a movie theater when a group of college girls sat next to me and one of them was wearing a strong perfume. I instantly had an asthma attack. It's never happened before or since then. But knowing perfume causes asthma attacks helped me quickly realize what was going on so I could pull out my inhaler and use it.

Check out their list of possible asthma triggers and share it with others you know who have asthma. Knowledge is power. Be prepared and always carry your inhaler with you....just in case.

I'm looking out the window at the weather. I'm back to wearing sandals today and my feet are freezing. And I'm wearing a coat. But I'm hoping for spring. Until then I'll keep my inhaler handy in case I have problems with the weather changes.

Oh, to be on a sunny warm beach right now.....  

Comments