Keeping track of medication schedules


 
 
 
 

 
I'm probably one of the only people in American who doesn't have a smart phone. I'm a low-tech sort of person. I like my sticky notes-I use them for everything, including keeping track of my medications when I'm sick.

Like most people, I get a little hazy when I am sick and can't remember which medication I've taken and when. It's important to keep track since there is a possibility to overdose on medications if you are a little "out of it."

When I am sick, I will write down any medication I take so I can keep them straight. I record:


  • Advair (my daily asthma medication)

  • Advil (for fever and pain)

  • Dayquil (this contains acetaminophen, and you can take too much and damage your liver)

  • Antibiotic

  • Prednisone

  • Albuterol (my rescue asthma medication)

Some days I don't take Daqyquil, so I have to keep track of how much cough medicine I may have taken. It's easy when you are coughing to think "I should take some more cough medicine-how long has it been since the last dose anyway?"

As moms, we are expected to take care of everyone, but when we get sick, no one takes care of us! My family is so used to me taking care of them, that they didn't know what to do when I was in bed for 4 days this last week with the flu which turned into pneumonia. I was on my own when it came to getting cold washcloths, another box of tissues, and tracking my medication. I know it's important to take my doses EXACTLY as prescribed so I can get better (and not overdose and damage my liver.) After all, my job and family require me to be on top of my game.

So, use whatever works for you to track medication when you are sick. Sticky notes, note pad iPhone, whatever you use. You would be surpised how easy it is to lose track of what time you have taken each medication, especially when your brain is a little foggy from being sick.

Stay well, and remember to wash those hands!

Comments