Vacations and dealing with a new climate




 


 

 My lungs are accustomed to dry air (as we live in a desert). Our recent vacation with the teenagers took us to the beach. And my lungs DID NOT like the change in temperature or humidity. 

Did you know that changes in weather can affect your asthma? The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America has a section on their website about what causes or 'triggers' asthma. 

My asthma flared up while we were at the beach, my body wasn't used to the moisture in the air. I used my rescue inhaler several times during the week we were at the beach. But the scenery was worth it!

Check the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America website for more triggers. Asthma triggers are different for everyone and they can change over time. I once had an asthma attack at a movie theater when a group of college girls with strong perfume sat down next to me. I've never had it bother me before that time or since then. Always carry your inhaler with you, just in case you have an asthma attack. And especially if you go on vacation and the climate is different than what your lungs are used to.

Now it's time to unpack and go back to work. Sigh.










Comments