No, this isn't what's inside my head-air blowing from one side to the other. I was just thinking about random thoughts about asthma.
I just gave a presentation about asthma to a group of people, and they were surprised by a few things.
- It's legal to carry asthma inhalers in public schools in every state in the U.S. (BUT you and your doctor must fill out a form every year from your school district.)
- It's also legal to carry an Epi Pen with you at all times (but fill out the school form first)
- Asthma is the Greek word for 'panting" which is what it sounds like when you are having problems breathing
- You can develop asthma anytime, even as an adult. It's called adult-onset asthma.
- You can get help paying for your asthma medications (or any other medication!) We use NeedyMeds to find a company that will help us with co-pays for my son's Xolair injections. NeedyMeds doesn't sell medication, they help you find a company that can pay for co-pays.
- NeedyMeds also has a page that can help you find free/low cost/sliding scale clinics anywhere in the country! Just click on a state to find what you need.
I'll have to say that I know more about the every day aspects of asthma than I ever wanted to know! I might as well share a few of the things I learned along the way. I hope some of these things can help you.