Sick again

 

 

 

 


 

My son with severe asthma is sick again.

Or as Son #2 says, "What else is new?" We were out of town and returned to find Son #2 coughing. 

I asked him how long he had been coughing, and he said, "I dunno." He seems so used to it, it's not a big deal.

Of course for me, it's a warning that he's about to have a big drop on his peak flow meter. When I hear him cough, it instantly makes me anxious, I start quizzing him on his peak flow number and ask him if he's taking all his medications. 

About a week later, we were at Asthma Doctor's office, getting Son #2's Xolair shot. Asthma Doctor could tell something was wrong by the way Son #2 was acting. He was listless and not his usual joking self. He was starting to cough up some nasty colored phlegm too.

Asthma doctor knows Son #2 all too well. So does Pediatrician. We don't see the pediatrician that often, but he says, "I know what he's like, I wouldn't be too concerned about other kids who are sick like this, but I know he drops really hard, really fast."

So, we're back on steroids and an antibiotic. Son#2 is feeling lousy, but doesn't want to miss high school. (Who would want to stay home when you can hang out with your buddies?!) I am making sure he is doing his nebulizer treatment before school starts. Otherwise, I know I'll just get to work and he'll call because he's not feeling well and he'll tell me his inhaler doesn't seem to be working.

Funny thing about kids, they're all different. Son #2 doesn't seem to do well using inhalers. He gets so sick so quickly, he just seems to do better on the nebulizer. He can't breathe deep enough to use his inhaler.

The other thing is that even though it's been 11 years since he was diagnosed with asthma, I don't think it ever gets easier. Not for us, not when his asthma is so severe. We have had way too many bad outcomes when he gets sick. 

I envy parents whose kids get a cold, and that's all it is-just a cold. With asthma, everything is worse.

Comments