Asthma Video Game



 

 

I am always on the look out for something new, and I found a fun video game called Bronkie the Bronchiasaurus, it's a Super Nintendo video game. This isn't a new game, it came out in 1996, but it's new to me.

Players assume the role of a dinosaur with asthma and must keep their asthma under control. But there is always evil lurking, and this comes in the form of deadly dust clouds. There are even cold viruses shot through the air by Sneezers.

The dinosaur goes through a series of activities; monitoring their peak flow, taking their medication when needed, using an inhaler correctly, following a sick day plan and avoiding triggers like dust, smoke and pollen. And of course those nasty cold viruses.

One study showed that kids with asthma who played this video game at home were able to reduce urgent care and emergency department visits by 40%! Now I wouldn't mind if my kids were playing video games if they were learning at the same time, having better health and less emergency visits.

Every time one of the kids were discharged from the hospital, I used to tell the nurses in Pediatrics, "It's not that I don't love you, but I hope I don't see you again for a LONG time!"

I looked for this game online, there was a good selection of games available for sale. I wouldn't mind getting one for my kid and letting them try it out.

The main thing is to keep our kids healthy and alive when they have asthma, right? 

And if it involves them having to play a video game to learn how to manage their asthma, then so be it! Just as long as they practice their piano lessons first.....

Comments