Traveling with asthma




Many of you may be traveling during the holidays. The first thing I pack is all of the kid's medications and equipment. The last thing I want is to get stuck somewhere without the nebulizer.

The last time we went on vacation, we packed all the maintenance medication, emergency medication and nebulizer. The only thing we forgot was the liquid fever reducer medicine and cough medicine. And of course, we ended up needing it. It's common to think "'we won't need that". But when you're on vacation, it's difficult to try to find a store, especially when you're in a strange place and don't know where things are located. So, now we pack everything, and if we don't need it, that's okay. I believe in Murphy's law (if something can go wrong, it will). So, I use my own logic and pack everything, thinking if I bring it, I won't need it. If I don't pack it, I will be kicking myself because I'll need it.

This spring when we were traveling, we didn't have cough medicine, Kitty was sick, and she kept us up ALL night long.

Years ago, when we went to Disneyland, I took all the medications, nebulizer, and oxygen saturation monitor with us. When we went to the first aid building to check them in (so we didn't have to carry them around all day). The nurse said, "are you sure you're going to need all that?" I said, "You never know, my kids have been known to have asthma attacks at the most inconvenient times, and they've been hospitalized 12 different times. In fact, Son #2 has almost stopped breathing and came close to being intubated several times." Silence. Then an "Oooohhhh" from the nurse.

You know your kids best, and you know what medications you need to bring when traveling. Asthma never picks a 'good time' to present itself. The unpredictability is what drives me crazy.

I also check the location of clinics and hospitals before we get to our destination, "just in case...." I make sure I have our insurance card for help if we need treatment out of state. The last thing you want after a vacation is a medical bill from out of state that isn't covered.

So, after I'm all packed and prepared, it's time to enjoy the holidays. Bring on the relatives!

Comments

  1. Hi..I am mom with 2 boys..my little is 4 years old is asthmatic and anaphylactic to diary products..browsing some articles related to asthma n landed in Ur blog..bingoo..I found what I want..it's like a Wikipedia for asthma..thanks a lot for all the effort U put in to help policy like me..living with allergies isis very emotional n physically ..U don't know what will happen n when..so far my lil is admitted almost 10 times with wheezing issue..everyni8 I woke up in between to check his breathing.if he catches cold , I prepare my emergency bag.i wanted to get a nebuliser for him but my GP n the doctors at emergency hospital say that the inhaler with spacer and Nebuliser works the same if taken properly..I would like to know Ur opinion..thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sree,

      I'm sorry you are having a tough time. Raising kids is hard enough, but when you have kids with medical needs too, it can be exhausting!

      I have seen the research that inhalers work just as well as the nebulizer - and I think it's WRONG! I don't care what the researchers say (and I'm really curious to know if they actually HAVE asthma or just research it....)

      Anyway, my pediatrician gave us a nebulizer when my kids were young and said it would save us MANY trips to the After Hours Clinic as well as Urgent Care (and it did - and still does!)

      We have been using a nebulizer (as well as an inhaler) for our asthma for the last 19 years. In fact, we have a 2nd nebulizer now, since there are 4 of us with asthma - and my college kids may move out soon, so they will need a nebulizer.

      I wrote more about it in this post, but Trust Your Instinct! And fight for your child if you feel like they need a nebulizer. I see no reason that someone with asthma should NOT have a nebulizer.

      Oh - and by the way, I'm not just a mom. I'm a Certified Asthma Educator!

      http://asthmamomlife.blogspot.com/2017/02/do-i-disagree-with-experts-wellyes.html

      Delete

Post a Comment