To follow up on the last post, I cautioned that you must stay 20 minutes after every allergy injection. There is a possibility of anaphylactic shock since you are getting injections of what you are allergic to.
The ONE TIME we left early, #1 Son had anaphylactic shock. #2 Son was already in the hospital with pneumonia and asthma, and we had gone to do allergy shots with #1 Son and Kitty. We were going to get shots, grab some pizza and head to the hospital. HA!
We told Wonderful Shot Nurse that we weren't going to stay, but were headed back to the hospital. She assured us we would be fine. Then Murphy's Law stepped in. We were a block away when #1 Son started coughing and said he thought something was wrong. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw #1 Son with a bright red face, glassy and bulging eyes and a swollen neck. Uh oh.
I did a quick U-turn and called Wonderful Shot Nurse who was waiting for us as I sped back. She had the epinephrine injection ready, and a breathing treatment set up. She calmly injected him and made small talk while the medicine did its job. She stayed with us for 2 hours after the office closed, to make sure he was stable. She gave us a prescription for an epi-pen since people can have a rebound anaphylactic shock episode 2 hours after the initial onset and treatment.
Meanwhile, Hubby is calling my cell phone wondering what's taking so long for the pizza. I breathlessly said "anaphylactic shock, can't talk". To make matters worse, while we were at the pharmacy getting the epi pen, Kitty left her favorite stuffed animal there!
We made it to the hospital about 3 hours later, I was so shaken up that we ended up ordering pizza to be delivered there. As we munched away, I remember feeling grateful for modern medicine, and that both our sons were still alive.