Giving peanut butter to babies to reduce allergies




Some of you may have already read about the new study that showed that feeding babies peanut products early may prevent an allergy to peanuts later in life.

Hmmm. 


"The medically supervised study tracked 640 babies with severe eczema, egg allergy or both. Half ate a peanut product at least three times a week for five years. Half avoided peanut products. Infants who were fed peanut products were at a much lower risk of having a peanut allergy at the end of the study.

“The high-risk infants in this study were tested to be sure they were not already allergic to peanut,” said Scott Sicherer, M.D., FAAP, an AAP expert in pediatric allergy and immunology. “At age 5 years, only 3% of the infants randomized to eat peanut had peanut allergy compared to 17% among those avoiding it.”
In the article, they remind parents to talk to your doctor first. They can help you find the best way to introduce peanut products to your child. Notice that they tested children first to make sure they were NOT allergic to peanuts before they fed them any peanut products. 

I would NOT try this at home on your own. This is something that needs to be done with a doctor. 



The American Academy of Pediatrics article lists the possible symptoms of a food allergy:

"Signs of a food allergy may include rash, swelling, vomiting and trouble breathing, typically within minutes to an hour of consuming food. If your child experiences any of these symptoms, call 9-1-1 immediately." 

It's something that I never want to see again as long as I live. It can be deadly. I am lucky that I caught it quickly and Asthma Nurse was able to save my son's life.

The article also says to be careful and not give peanuts or pieces of peanuts to kids under the age of 4, because they could choke on them. Yikes! 

This is great research. If children in the study were able to to reduce the chance that they were would be allergic to peanuts, it would be worth checking into. Especially since it was carefully supervised by doctors. Talk to your doctor about it - I would NEVER try it on my own.

Food allergies are a pain. Son #2 has a tree nut allergy. I have a seafood allergy. We have to carry an Epi Pen everywhere we go and be VERY careful about any food that we eat. 

What a great scientific breakthrough to figure out how to decrease the chance that kids may be allergic to peanuts. I love these scientists with their smart brains! 

 

 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this. What about for adults who have peanut allergies? (I've had them all my life and If there's a way to get rid of them I'd love to know!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on where you live, you can participate in a clinical trial.

      http://www.foodallergy.org/research/participate-in-a-clinical-trial

      Here is a blog written by a mom of a girl who underwent a peanut desensatization clinical trial

      http://eatingpeanut.blogspot.com/?m=1

      I don't have a peanut allergy, but I have an anaphylactic soy allergy. Soy allergies are less common (especially in adults) so they get less attention, so the only treatment for me is a soy free diet. But I am hopeful that someday, there will be a cure for allergies.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for including that! I didn't check my blog last week ~

      I also found this mentioned for peanut allergy clinical trials

      https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01904604

      Delete
  2. I just met a girl in my ward who is terminally ill with ulcerative colitis and various autoimmune disorders. We have bonded over both of us having health problems, but it makes me grateful I am not terminally ill. And I'm in a YSA ward, and the bishop told me there are 3 terminally ill girls in the ward including her. That has taught me to not mope about poor health and cherish every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also would it be possible for me to email something to you? I have an open letter to girls who want to/are majoring in a STEM field, and I would like your daughter to see it as encouragement and motivation. She won't have to contact me, all contact will go through you, but it's advice I wish I had when I was a teenager. My email is taylorj45@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I sent an email a few weeks ago, did you get it? If not, I sent another one today :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment