Fall allergies........argh!



Do you have itchy, watery eyes?

Some people think the only time they have allergies is in the spring when the flowers are blooming. WRONG! Many people can also have fall allergies.

My kids are complaining about itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing and a throat that won't stop itching.

Hellllllooooooo Ragweed! 

Fox 59 in Indianapolis had a story on the news this week about fall allergies. They said one ragweed plant can produce up to 1 billion grains of pollen each year. Yuck!! 

Mold is also common in the fall. You know how your kids love to rake leaves into a pile and jump in? Better be careful - the leaves are full of mold. 

The Fox 59 story has several helpful things you can do:

"The first and most critical step to controlling allergies is to avoid triggers.
  • Avoiding ragweed is similar to avoiding Spring pollen. Minimize time outdoors, keep windows shut during the day, and check ragweed pollen counts.
  • Avoiding mold is a little different. Mold grows in moist areas. Therefore, it just loves piles of fallen leaves.If your children are playing in the leaves, make sure to wash them and their clothes as soon as they enter your home. If your child is the allergy sufferer, keep them out of the leaves. If you have a pet that spends time outdoors, it is important to wash them when they reenter the house as well. Otherwise, they will be shaking mold spores all over your home."

I'm not saying you can't have any fun in the fall - but know what brings on your allergy symptoms. Ragweed? Mold? And what is the best way to treat allergies? Everyone is different, but there are a lot of over the counter allergy medicines available - as well as nose sprays that help with allergies.

Talk to your doc to see what is right for you. For our family, we use a combination - over the counter allergy medicine and nose sprays (and this is after my kids have all completed 5 years worth of allergy shots.....) And they STILL suffer from allergies.

Sigh. I hate allergies and I hate the asthma attacks they trigger!

Comments

  1. Is a cough normal for fall allergies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is a cough normal for fall allergies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go see your doctor. If I get a cough with fall allergies, that means my asthma is flaring up.

      Allergies usually just have you sneezing. A cough would be another thing.

      For me, that means there is swelling in my lungs and I need to keep using my maintenance asthma medicine, as well as my rescue inhaler.

      Good luck!!

      Delete

Post a Comment