It's detective time! What is triggering my asthma attack?







Sometimes, you can have an asthma attack, but may not be sure what trigger it. 

This happened to me twice this week. As soon as I climbed in bed, I started that twitchy feeling I get in my throat. Followed a couple of minutes later by coughing. Argh! I had to get up and use my inhaler.

But I couldn't figure out what was triggering it. I had just cleaned off the night stands and the top of the dresser, so everything should have been dust free. 

All the bedding had been freshly washed. 

So, what was it? Daughter Kitty is in charge of vacuuming the upstairs and the boys vacuum downstairs. Did she miss vacuuming under my bed this week?

There was a decorative metal magazine holder on my wall that I had filled with silk flowers. Was that dusty? Did it trigger an asthma attack?

The trees are blooming now and the pollen levels are in the "high category." Did I have pollen in my hair? Then when I laid down, did it get on my pillow, and then on my face?

I may never figure it out. 

Asthma triggers are different for everyone - and they can change over time. You have to act like a detective and try to figure out what caused an asthma attack. Sometimes I can't figure it out. Once I went into a store to buy a baby gift, and I had an asthma attack while I was picking out a baby outfit. I still don't know what caused it.

Once you know what your triggers are, you can avoid them. Until then, you may have to do a little detective work to see what is triggering your asthma attacks.

Where is Sherlock Holmes when I need him?!

Comments