What if my kids get sick when I'm on vacation?





What if Hubby and I go an anniversary trip and one of the kids get sick while we're gone? 

It seems like they were a lot sicker and more often when they were little. In fact, it's been 4 years since Kitty or Son #2 have been hospitalized for asthma! 

Knock on wood.....

Even so, Hubby and I are planning a trip and there's a lot to consider when you have kids with chronic health problems. Did I refill all their prescriptions before I go? Inhalers? Check. Singulair? Check. Zyrtec? Check. Asmanex? Check. Symbicort? Check.

Are there vials of Albuterol for the nebulizer? Check.

Call the doctor's office. Check. I had to call the doctor's office today to see what I need to do to make sure the kids can come in for an office visit if they get sick while Hubby and I are gone. (With our luck, something will happen while we're gone.) 

Our close family friend is helping out with our kids while we're gone. My doctor's office said as long as we type up a letter with the kid's name and birth dates, and list the name of our close family friend and state that we give her permission to take the kids in to the doctor for treatment, we are good. 

Phew. That's a lot of work.

But you never know what might happen. We typed up a letter like that the last time Hubby and I went out of town.....just in case.....and ended up using it. While we were gone, Son #2 got sick, was having problems with his asthma, and then his lung partially collapsed. 

So Hubby and I were on the phone from 3,000 miles away, talking to the doctor and hospital. That made for a great vacation!

In fact, that's why Hubby and I haven't gone away together for the last 5 years. You can't relax on your anniversary if you're worried about sick kids. We decided that the kids are older now (teenagers) and their asthma seems to be stable. 

Hopefully all goes well on this trip.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!!    


Comments