Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved



Friday, August 3, 2012

Water damage=not good for asthma



I noticed the paint surrounding the tub in my historic home was a little bubbly. Hubby assured me that "he was keeping an eye on it." Since we had a leaking ceiling in our last home, which lead to a ceiling and walls filled with mold, I am a little paranoid about water leaks. (That room took several months to fix......after which our insurance company cancelled us for filing a claim for black mold.)

So this week, I decided to pull off the paint and wet plaster so Hubby could fix the bathroom wall. That's easier said than done. We have an access panel on the wall behind the tub, which you can't get to because the toilet is there. So this will not be an easy fix. Hubby will have to pull out the toilet to get to the access panel behind the shower. THEN he gets to see where it is leaking and if he can fix it. Hubby can fix just about anything. He's a handy guy to have around!

Water leaks can lead to mold, which is NEVER good when you have asthma. To see what the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends to clean up mold, click here. 

It's important to follow their instructions, since mold spores can cause an allergic reaction in some people. The EPA recommends:
  • Fix the plumbing leak
  • Dry all items completely
  • Scrub mold off hard surfaces using soap and water
  • Some things that soak up water (ceiling tiles, carpet) may need to be thrown away
Some area that are too big require a professional to come in and fix it. The EPA recommends getting a professional if the area is bigger than 3" by 3". That's what we had in our previous home, so we had to have a company come in and take care of it. They wore respirators and were very careful at each step.

This area is small, and Hubby can most likely fix it. It's a long process-fixing the leak, cleaning up, patching the area, waiting for things to dry out before you can repaint. But water leaks don't go away on their own. It's important to NOT WAIT and get it fixed as soon as possible. Little leaks can cause big problems!
 

 


17 comments:

  1. Excellent blog very nice and unique information related to Asthma. Thanks for sharing this information.
    Beclovent | Brethine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be best to clean with non-phosphate detergents since mold eats phosphate residue, and this would just increase their growth. Disinfectants can also kill molds, but they do not prevent them from re-growing. You must do all you can to speed up the drying of the wall, or any wet surface. Use air conditioning, fans, heaters, or a dehumidifier to hasten the drying. Water-damage repair companies can provide the fastest drying since they have special equipment meant for the job.

    Darryl Mikula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darryl, we have actually used a disaster clean up company before, and they did a great job. They sanded and bleached the area and used a negative air pressure machine. Of course, the damage on that sunroom was much more severe, this is a small area that we can easily repair. The EPA recommends professional assistance if the area exceeds 3' x 3'. http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldcleanup.html

      We are always careful and follow proper procedures. Thanks for your concern! :)

      Delete
  3. Also, as a precaution in the laundry room, check hoses regularly for bulging, cracking, and leaks around the hose ends. This can be a starting point of bacterial growth. It would be good to change the hose every 3 years as part of a proactive maintenance program. :)

    Tyrone Nold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, those hoses can be a real hassle when they crack! Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  4. Good thing you were able to spot this problem right on. Water leaks and molds are definitely not a sign of a healthy home, and they pose a major risk, especially for your condition. Aside from allergic reaction, prolonged exposure to molds can lead to liver damage. Aside from removing the infested area, it is advisable to maintain a healthy home and prevent leaks that might lead to another mold infestation and serious water damage.

    [Soledad Feigenbaum]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Soledad, you can never be too careful. We check our bathrooms, laundry room and kitchens regularly for water damage.

      Delete
  5. Water damage is definitely bad for people who have asthma. Water can seep into the wall and generate bacteria, any of which can trigger an asthma attack. Anyway, it is good that you managed to spot the water damage early on. Otherwise, you would have risked having an asthma attack every time you went to the bathroom. In fact, even if you don’t have asthma, water damage can be bad for the health of the people inside the house and the house itself.



    @Carlene Maysonet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlene, water damage is never a good thing-for anyone! It's just part of owning a home. It seems like if it's not an appliance going out, there's a short somewhere,water leak or a roof that needs repairs. Fun times!

      Delete
  6. I agree with your last statement, “Little leaks can cause big problems!”. That’s why it is very important to fix what needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Ignoring it will surely cause greater damage. Good luck to your Hubby!

    -Allen Hoffman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's just about done. A little touch up paint and we'll be good to go!

      Delete
  7. Good post,I am glad to stay your website.. This editorial gives the light in which we can scrutinize the authenticity and it is very useful one and gives in depth in sequence. Know more about Water Damage Repair http://www.waterdamagemiami.net/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So this week, I decided to pull off the paint and wet plaster so Hubby could fix the bathroom wall. mildew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I know it's a big job, but it's SO important to fix things the right way. Good luck!! :)

      Delete