Estrogen affecting asthma





I was just reading an article in the March 2012 Family Circle magazine, entitled "Not Just For Kids." 

The article, written by Christine Mattheis, mentions things adult can experience, not just kids or teenagers-lactose intolerance, acne and asthma. 

Of course the asthma section caught my eye. One thing I found interesting is the article is that changing estrogen levels during menopause can cause inflammation in the airways. 

I haven't heard that before, I would like to read the research behind that study.

Another thing it mentions is that adults that are newly diagnosed are more likely to have problems daily. Lucky you! They may have:

  • pressure or tightness in the chest
  • dry cough-especially at night
  • difficulty breathing
  • wheezing (a little whistling sound when you breathe out)
  • a cold that seems to go 'to the chest' or lasts longer than normal
The article goes on to tell readers to talk to their doctor and see what medication will work best for them. Some people with asthma may only need a rescue/emergency/fast acting inhaler. But some people need a daily controller/maintenance medication.

I have had asthma all my life, so this article didn't worry me too much. But for those of you adults who don't have asthma.......just something else to look forward to as you get older. Ah, the joys of aging!

Comments