"Opening" the state too soon?

I am more than a bit nervous about my state's plan to "reopen"  after Stay at Home recommendations. 

The Governor says it will be a "slow" reopening. Industry by industry.

That's like the Disneyland employees that tell people NOT to run to the Indiana Jones ride when they open the gates - and do people listen? 



People won't listen to this "slow and gradual" reopening either. 

I still see groups of people hanging out at parks, etc. I think they have the old "It Won't Happen To Me" syndrome. And I'm shocked that people aren't wearing masks (or bandannas) when I go for a drive.

I felt a little better as I was listening to a webinar from Allergy & Asthma Network "Psychological Impact & Interventions for Patients and Providers During the COVID 19 Crisis."

I know some people think we are overreacting in self-isolating our family. But - with multiple hospitalizations in the past for asthma, I know we would be in BIG trouble if any of us got COVID. (There are 4 in my family with asthma.)

Living with Fear and Anxiety 

During the webinar, Dr. Jackie Egharir-Sabet said that some of us have fear and anxiety - especially with negative events in our past (oh, say multiple hospitalizations for my kids?!) Yep, that'll do it.

That can lead us to worry that these events will happen again - with the same "unpleasant outcome."

Bingo!

I am so terrified that one of my adult kids will contract COVID and end up in the hospital. I know what happens during the normal course of a year for us - they get the flu/RSV/pneumonia or are affected by smoke from a forest fire - and they are back in the hospital.

Yeah, I know there are people with mild symptoms and they stay home for two weeks feeling miserable. We don't usually fall into this category. When we get sick, we do it with gusto!

If you have asthma or a family member with asthma, know that you are not alone in feeling worried about COVID 19. 

Listen to the webinar and see what you think! DR. Egharir-Sabet gives ideas of how to control your anxiety and fear.

It might just give you a little peace of mind.







Comments