When you don't know what you're missing










Recently, one of my college aged sons was looking at a big clock on the wall in our living room. He said, "You know, I can see the number on the clock but not the letters." I could see him squinting, but he still couldn't see them.

I was a little surprised and wondered how long he was having trouble seeing?

I knew he would need a pair of glasses, so I told him to go to the eye doctor. Sure enough, he came back home with a prescription for glasses.

Once he had his glasses, he was walking around the house looking at things. I could tell that he was noticing things that he wasn't able to see before.

I told him I remembered what it was like when I got glasses. I didn't realize what I missing! I THOUGHT I could see okay, but once I got glasses, I realized I had been missing a lot!

That reminded me of families that get inhalers for the first time. They have NO idea that they aren't breathing as well as they could be. Most people are really surprised the first time they use an Albuterol inhaler or have a breathing treatment. 

They didn't realize that it should be easier to breathe. They struggle to breathe, can't keep up with the other kids at recess, or with the kids on the soccer team. That's normal for them.

And adults tell me they just thought they were out of shape! And that's why they couldn't keep up when the family went for a walk, rode bikes, etc.

Once they were on the right medicine, they couldn't believe how much better they felt! 

Hopefully all of you are on the right medicine and can feel the difference when you are taking it!

Comments