Holiday parties with food allergies







It's holiday party time - and as someone that is allergic to seafood - I am constantly checking my food at holiday parties. Shrimp in BBQ baked beans???? Yep.....I have had that happen! 

Son #2 is allergic to tree nuts, which are in a LOT of bakery products and ice creams. So he has an even harder time avoiding his allergen than I do. 

Last month, I attended a national allergy and asthma conference where one of the doctors showed a VERY funny video about food allergies.

How can that be funny?

Well.....if you have ever had a time when a doctor thought you had NO idea what you were talking about (because HE'S the doctor, not you......) you may get a chuckle out of watching the video. 

It was create by Dr. Julie Brown and it shows a mom trying to tell the ER doctor that her son is having anaphylaxis - but the doc isn't listening.

Does that sound familiar?  I have had pretty good luck over the years with doctors saying that "they listen to a mom's intuition because she knows her child better than anyone else, and she knows when something is wrong."

And....I've had other doctors that seemed to have the God Complex.

(They are God and are in control and the rest of us are mere mortals....)


It is pretty funny....

So, what can you do if you have food allergies? And will be at lots of holiday parties? Allergy & Asthma Network has a fabulous article "Holiday Party Prep: The Power of Role Play"

You can read it to find great ideas for dealing with food allergies,  and it will help you and your child feel empowered. 

If you are prepared, you can enjoy the holidays!

Now....pass the chocolate!

Comments

  1. I have had the same problem with doctors not believing me when I say I have CF. I was diagnosed in my 20s and I have had several think I had an eatong disorder because I am so skinny. Plus I'm black and CF is associated with european ancestry. I'm still in portugal and I will be sad to go back in a few days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they see so many patients and what is "normal", that anything out of the ordinary just doesn't seem possible.

      Yes, there are commonalities with diseases, but also a lot of variables.

      And I am always the 1% that doesn't fit the norm.

      Delete

Post a Comment