This tween is amazing!






Susan Tatelli is one brave tween! She has life threatening allergies to peanuts, tree nuts and soy. Her mom recorded Susan using her Epi Pen and uploaded it to Youtube. She also interviews several allergy and asthma doctors who talk about when and how to use an Epi Pen. This tween does an AMAZING job using hers!!

Susan wanted to show other kids that it's not so scary - that others can use their Epi Pen if they need to. She has had a LOT of experience using her Epi Pen because she was part of a peanut allergy trial. While she was in the trial, she had 6 anaphylaxis reactions. She used her Epi Pen herself 5 out of the 6 times. Way to go!

I learned something from watching the doctors she interviewed. Dr. Sakina Bajowala of the Kaneland Allergy and Asthma Center shows how to hold the Epi Pen in your palm with your finger and thumb stretched out. 

Then she wraps her thumb around the Epi Pen first. Then she wraps her fingers around her thumb. 
 
She said that stops you from putting your thumb on the top of the Epi Pen (where the safety cap is) I didn't know that - and I have been carrying around an Epi Pen for years!  
   
You can watch the video here. You can see how red Susan's face is before she uses her Epi Pen. Scary stuff! What a brave tween to share her story with others to make it a little less scary.

She is going to do great things in this world!! 

Comments

  1. I've been following her mom's blog about it for awhile. Here it is http://eatingpeanut.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello

    I am writing on behalf of ABC News Good Morning America and I am working on a series we call GMA ON THE MONEY.

    The GMA ON THE MONEY series helps viewers save money for important things in their lives by giving them tips and tricks that can save hundreds of dollars. And this case we are tackling prescription drugs and trying to help a family who had multiple prescriptions needs each month for multiple family members.

    I came across your blog and would love for you and your family to participate in this segment…Do you feel like you are paying way too much every month and would love help shrinking your monthly bill and putting that money back in your savings?

    Below are some links to some of my other GMA ON THE MONEY segments so you can see how we structure these...

    GMA ON THE MONEY EXAMPLES:

    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/baby-break-expecting-parents-budget-32707908

    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/tips-save-big-common-car-repairs-31771097

    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/summer-cooling-costs-necessarily-blow-budget-32410603


    Thank you so much!

    Daisha Riley
    Segment Producer
    ABC News Good Morning America
    212-456-1121
    Daisha.Riley@abc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely,

      I am on my way out the door, I'll contact you tomorrow, thanks!

      Delete
  3. I got new insurance that is waaaay better than my old. I got a vest, so now I don't have to rely on someone else to manually pound my chest. Although my lung function is improving, I have the worst case of pancreatitis!! It feels like someone stabbed me in the abdomen. And I've lost 15 pounds in a month. And that's WITH kaydeco. The enzymes aren't cutting it, and if I keep losing weight, I'll have to get a feeding tube :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for the new vest, BOO on losing too much weight! :(

      I would be thrilled with that much weight loss, but I know for you it's not a healthy thing :(

      Delete

Post a Comment