Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved



Monday, October 29, 2012

Halloween time! Check your candy for nuts!






It's that time of year again...sugar overload! I mean Halloween.

If you have a child with food allergies (or have some yourself) you need to check all the Halloween candy carefully. Son #2 is allergic to tree nuts, so we have to be careful when we pick out candy.

If you have someone that is allergic to peanuts, good luck finding chocolate candy without it! The Snickers, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and even the Butterfinger candy bars in my cauldron all have peanuts. Luckily, we're NOT allergic to peanuts, so we can eat all of these candy bars. Mmmmm.

We worry about cross contamination, so if I had a child that was allergic to peanuts, I wouldn't let him eat the Twix candy bars that are also in the cauldron. If you have candy bars that have peanuts mixed in with candy bars that don't, that can be enough cross contamination for some people to cause anaphylaxis. 

We read labels to see if the candy was produced on the same equipment that was used to make candy that has tree nuts. If it has, then that candy gets put in a pile for me to eat. Sigh, the things I do for my kids....

If you have a child with a tree nut or peanut allergy, try using a separate bowl with candy that your child can eat. They need to have some fun on Halloween too! And if they get candy that they can't eat, you might have to be a good parent and eat it for them.........






No comments:

Post a Comment