Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Breakfast time!

Yep, that was my breakfast this morning. An antibiotic pill first, then a steroid. MMMM. Then I did a breathing treatment in the nebulizer with Albuterol. Once my lungs were opened up a little, I could use my Advair inhaler. Breakfast of Champions, yum!

I can't believe I'm sick again. Hubby got sick the last day of our vacation, and I was careful to wash my hands and spray everything with Lysol. I thought I dodged a bullet, but a week later it was my turn to be sick. When I woke up with a scratchy throat, I thought "uh oh-not again!" Wasn't I sick with this last month?

It's been miserable. First the low grade fever started, then I had sneezing fits that could be heard by the neighbors. I followed that up with a nasty cough. I woke up on Saturday and realized I was in trouble. I was coughing up colored phlegm, a sure sign of infection. And I was so breathless that I couldn't speak above a whisper.

I called Asthma Doc's after hours line, but the phone system wasn't working. Annoying. So I called  Primary Care Doctor. I was worried my message didn't go through, so decided to go to the InstaCare facility to be seen by a doctor. As I was just about to check in at the desk, my cell phone rang, and it was my Primary Care Doctor. Since I hadn't checked in yet, I motioned Hubby to follow me out in the hall while I talked on the phone. Primary Care Doctor could tell by my voice that I was pretty sick. I reminded Doc that I have asthma (which makes every illness worse). He said he would call in an antibiotic and course of prednisone to the pharmacy (exactly what I was hoping for!) Sounds like I have bronchitis or pneumonia (again).

Hubby said, "Phew, that was close. That just saved us $75!!" Yep, that's Hubby the Tightwad. I am impressed that he was actually willing to drive me to the InstaCare and crack open his wallet for the $75 co-pay. But he was equally delighted to skip the co-pay and head to the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions. He must have been feeling really generous because he also brought home orange juice and home made chicken soup from my favorite restaurant.

It's been a LONG week of sleepless nights and equally miserable days. and I am still not feeling better. I thought I would head to my office to catch up on a few things, but that was a mistake. I am headed back home to bed. 

 If you get sick and you have asthma, don't hesitate to call your doctor, go to the after hours clinic or emergency room. Colds/flu/bronchitis/pneumonia are always worse when you have asthma. It's especially scary if you have kids with asthma that get sick. My kids have been hospitalized 12 separate times because of pneumonia and asthma.  It can go from bad to worse VERY quickly.

I did go see my doctor yesterday because I was still not feeling better. I had a really bad coughing spell and felt a sudden searing pain in my right side. Turns out I pulled a muscle, which makes every time I cough a real joy. It could be worse, several of my friends have told me that they actually broke a rib during a coughing spell. Sheesh! Doc listened to my lungs and said they sounded better, but to just give it a little more time.  He did prescribe a strong cough medicine, so hopefully that helps.

I think I'll head back to bed, have a little more chicken soup and orange juice and watch some chick flicks. Now all I need is a little chocolate, because that makes everything better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment