Another asthma attack

Another asthma attack


This time it wasn't me, it was Son #2. I have to rewind a little.

I don't go to the salon that often, but my naturally curly hair is getting a little wild, so I decided it was time for a trim. I had an hour where I thought I could fit in a trip to the salon.

Well, no sooner was I under the sink and had a sudsy head, then my cell phone started to ring. I apologized and told the stylist I needed to check my phone because my kids have asthma. (I was sure it was Hubby calling, or a friend but thought I better check just to make sure). But, alas it was Son #2. Once in a while, he will send a text from school during lunch if he needs something. This was a phone call I missed, so I knew something was up.

I called him back, and he was having problems and some weird symptoms. So, now what? I'm sitting in a cape with dripping wet hair. He is pretty good at mangaging his symptoms, (he's in high school) so I told him that if he didn't feel better after using his inhaler, to call our neighbor (who is like a 2nd grandma) or his grandma or grandpa to come pick him up. At the beginning of the school year, I always list 4 or 5 people, besides Hubby and I, on the form that allows someone to check him out of school.

Luckily, Neighbor was home and could pick him up. What do you do if a son or daughter has an asthma attack and you are in a meeting/ can't leave/ don't hear your cell phone, etc?

Make sure you have plenty of people around who know what to do and can 'pinch hit' for you. Many friends and neighbors know about our kid's asthma. They know what to do, where the kid's medication is kept, and who and where the Asthma Doctor's office is.

We also have a letter on file in case Grandma or Neighbor needs to take them to the doctor if we're out of town.

Everything turned out fine today, but you never know what can happen. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this battle against asthma. Make sure you have help as well.

Comments

  1. This is great advice! Even 'stay at home' moms need back ups in case they are out of their child's reach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the more people that know about your kids (and asthma) and can pitch in, the better! Working moms, or stay at home moms, we all need help. It's not unusual for me to get calls at work and need someone who get to the school quicker than I can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment