Political Stress Triggering Asthma Attacks?

 


You would have to be living under a rock if you didn't see the protestors who stormed the U.S. Capitol. 😮

I was busy at work, helping in our COVID clinic. My phone kept pinging with texts, but I didn't have time to check them.

On my commute home, I turned on the radio and was stunned to hear what was happening.

What??!!!

I turned on the TV when I got home and saw protestors climbing walls and smashing windows in the capitol. 

I have spent a fair amount of time in the DC capitol building. I have also visited the House and Senate buildings multiple times when our family has advocated for allergies and asthma. 

Like many people, I have walked those halls! I recognized different parts of the building on TV -  although they were happy times for us when we were there.

As I was trying to process what I was seeing on TV, my lungs started to get cranky. 

 What was triggering this asthma attack?!

Then I realized.........stress!

Did you know that strong emotions and stress can trigger an asthma attack?

Yep!

 Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America says:

"It is not the emotion itself that causes the asthma symptoms. Instead, your breathing changes during strong emotions. This causes muscles to tighten up or your breathing rate to increase."

 I had to fish my inhaler out of my purse and take a couple of puffs. 

Then I decided to turn off the TV and just read. I was trying to distract myself from what was going on.

 When I am stressed out, distraction is the best thing for me. 

I have been trying meditation, but I need more practice! I can't seem to turn my brain off. Haha!

Yoga also helps me calm down.

Has anyone found ways to deal with strong emotions or stress?


Comments