Dying From Asthma in Front a Locked ER Door?

 

 


This is one of those really heartbreaking stories😭

A few years ago, I read a story about a young woman (Laura Levis)  who died of an asthma attack 

My worst fear is that one of my kids would die from asthma. My kids have had 12 hospitalizations for asthma  - and 2 of those were ICU. I know how quickly asthma can go from bad to worse.

Some people are surprised to find out that you can die from asthma. 

Did you know that every day, 10 Americans die from asthma?

It's heartbreaking, but it can happen. 

Later, I read another article from Laura's husband (Peter DeMarco), and learned that she died just outside the locked door to an emergency room (it was NOT clearly marked - unlike the photo above.)

Peter wrote a lengthy article explaining how a long series of mistakes had led to Laura's death. 

  Could this happen to someone in my family? 

I used to know where the entrance to our ER is located, but.....they just rebuilt the hospital.

 Where is the new entrance? 

Do my adult children know where it is now?

I decided to add these question to the asthma education I provide when I work with families. I ask them to tell me:

  • Which hospital would you go to if there was an emergency?
  • Do you know how to get there? (Which roads to take?)
  • Do you know where the ER entrance is for that hospital? (Is it on the north side? East? West? South?)
  • Do you know where to park?

Making changes

5 years later, Peter was able to advocate for changes. It was too late for Laura, but maybe it can save someone else's life.  "Laura's Law" was signed by in January 2021 by Massachusetts Governor Baker.

They are requiring:

  • Regulations for Emergency Room Signs and lighting
  • Panic buttons
  • Video surveillance 

(This law will go into effect 6-12 months after the declaration of emergency expires for Massachusetts.) 

I hope you never need to make a mad dash to the hospital. But if you do - do you know where it is? How to get there? Where the ER entrance is? 

Take this time to find out - it could save a life! 


 



Comments

  1. Along those same lines, I've made it a point to know where the nearest children's hospital is when we go on vacation. We had to go to a rural hospital while visiting family once and it was harder for them to accommodate my 5 year old than what I had experienced at our local children's hospital. Now I alway look at the area we are staying and find the nearest children's hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did the same when my kids were little. I always looked up the closet children's hospital and would bring my "Out of State" insurance card - just in case.

    It can be hard having little kids who have a habit of picking up germs and getting REALLY sick :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment