Still Having Allergies in the Fall? Ragweed Could Be the Culprit
I got up one morning, and a window had been left open. The moment I sat near the window, I started a sneeze fest. I couldn't stop sneezing. They just came rapid fire like the videos you see online of a cat or dog sneezing
I almost fell off the chair I was sneezing so hard.
My family started laughing and then I realized.......ragweed. Yep, it's ragweed season.
Allergies follow a seasonal pattern
Spring allergies caused by tree pollen (yes, trees have pollen).
Summer allergies are caused by grass pollen. (Tree pollen and grass pollen can overlap).
Fall allergies are caused by ragweed pollen, but you can also have allergies to molds.
You may not see any ragweed plants around, but did you know that ragweed can travel hundreds of miles? It's been found 400 miles out in the ocean - and also 2 miles up in space! Not kidding.
Just because there aren't ragweed plants nearby doesn't mean you're safe.
How to manage ragweed season
You can use the same tips to manage ragweed allergies as you do for other pollen seasons. The experts recommend:
- Keeping the windows and doors closed - this keeps pollen out of the house
- Monitor pollen counts in your area - they often show them on the news or weather apps
- Limit how long you are outdoors - sometimes, people wear sunglasses to protect their eyes or wear a mask to keep the pollen out of their nose and mouth
- Shower after going outdoors - this can remove pollen from your skin and hair. It also helps to change your clothes
I also blow my nose if I've been outside to remove pollen, and follow that with a saline nose spray rinse.
Talk to your doctor to see if you should use antihistamines, allergy nasal spray, and/or allergy shots.
Everyone is different, so find what works for you.
Good luck during pollen season!
Hugs,
Andrea

Comments
Post a Comment