Overnight Oxygen for Long COVID and Asthma


 It seems like we'll never get away from COVID. 

People are still getting COVID, and the number of people with Long COVID is growing.

I belong to a social media group for other people with Long COVID. It's a place where people can share their symptoms, struggles, and treatment plans that worked for them. 

I had COVID last year and missed a month of work. In additional to my high dose dual maintenance inhaler, I needed oral steroids, Paxlovid, and breathing treatments every 4 hours - around the clock.

I had a very difficult time getting my energy level back, and my oxygen level rarely went above 91.

I know that there are many ways to assess asthma, and relying only on oxygen levels isn't the best idea. 

As a Certified Asthma Educator, I teach families to look at signs and symptoms too. I had fatigue, a persistent cough, shortness of breath, a hard time sleeping (unless I was propped upright), etc etc

For some reason, I didn't feel like I needed oxygen. 

I'll order oxygen for my kids, but not myself

My kid were in the hospital 12 times for asthma, and they would often be discharged with an oxygen tank or an oxygen concentrator. An oxygen concentrator is what you see in the photo above. It take room air and "concentrates" it, turning it into oxygen. 

You can use oxygen tubing and a canula (that sticks on your nose), or an oxygen mask. It depends on how many liters of oxygen you are on. 

I made sure my kids had oxygen, but when I got sick....I didn't take care of myself. 

Shocking, right?

Isn't that what moms do? Take care of everyone else but themselves? 

Months later, I was complaining to my doctor about how I still felt miserable. He said although my symptoms were finally getting better, and my oxygen level was okay during the day, it might not be at night.

Ugh. I knew that! I remember how my kid's oxygen level would ALWAYS drop lower at night, which is why we usually ended up in the ER after midnight. And then they would be admitted to the Pediatric ward of the hospital. 

I reluctantly agreed to an overnight oxygen test. It showed that my oxygen level was still dropping below 91 often during the night

Well, huh

I finally agreed to an oxygen concentrator, and it was delivered right away. 

Why did I wait so long?

Why do we moms neglect ourselves?

If you are sick (or have Long COVID), and you are feeling lousy. Chat with your doctor. Sometimes, adjusting your asthma inhalers isn't enough. You may need oral steroids. 

Or you may need a little oxygen until you start to feel better!

Comments