RSV Isn't Just For Babies!

 


I've been watching the news and every channel has been having stories about RSV. But, each channel is saying that RSV is only dangerous to babies and older people. 

I'm yelling at my TV

It's not just for babies!

When my son was only 5 years old, he was hospitalized with RSV

Yes, 5. 

It's so important that people know that older kids can get RSV and end up in the hospital! 

My son is an adult now, but years ago, he was sick all the time. All the time. 

He has severe asthma, and would always get sicker than my other kids. And he would be sick for a lot longer than my other kids. 

One time, Son #2 looked terrible and I knew it was time for a trip to the ER. 

I remember the doctors in the ER saying hmmm....what could it be? I guess we should test your son for RSV, but I've never heard of a kid that age ending up in the hospital with RSV. 

 Silly doctor. He hasn't met our family yet! 

We are always the 1% 

 CDC says RSV can look like other respiratory illnesses: 

  • Runny nose
  • Loss of appetite
  • Coughing (and also wheezing)

 But for some babies, kids (and adults!), it can lead to bronchiolitis or pneumonia 

When should you worry? 

Nationwide Children's Hospital says:

  • child is having a hard time breathing:
    • wheezing and coughing
    • having short and fast breaths (like panting)
    • skin is pulling in between the ribs or under the neck (retractions)
  • skin, lips or tongue has a bluish or grey color
  • not eating, drinking or sleeping
  • is dehydrated

When my son's test results came back, the ER Docs were shaking their heads and saying this can't be right! 

But, my 5 year old son had all of the severe symptoms for RSV and was admitted to the hospital for 3 days. 

I try to bring up the story to let other families know that older kids with asthma can also end up in the hospital, not just babies.

Trust your instinct. If you think something is wrong with your child, call your doc! Sometimes my doc would say "it's just a virus, your son will be fine." Yet, later that night Son #2 would get worse and we would end up in the ER. 

I just knew that something wasn't right with my son. 

And then he was admitted 

Trust your gut! 

RSV isn't just for babies

 


Comments