Gross Allergy Stuff

 



I was just chatting with a group of writers, and we were talking about "gross topics." 

Should we write about them or not?

Well, if it can help someone feel like they're not alone - why not?!

One of those gross topics I brought up is allergies. For those of you with allergies, you may know what I'm talking about. 

Mucus (aka Snot)

 We all make mucus (and some of us make more than others.....) 

And you may make more mucus during certain times of the year. 

Spring is always fun for a lot of people. I was recently at a work conference near one of the beautiful national parks. My husband and adult son tagged along so they could go hiking and exploring. 

The morning after my conference, we were in the hotel room getting ready for breakfast. My son asked if I was okay? I was a little confused, but then my husband said, "She's fine. She sounds like this all the time."

I had blown my nose 4 times before breakfast, and still had a lot of congestion. But I didn't realize I was like that every morning! 

It's annoying to have so much congestion and mucus. All. The. Time. We have year-round allergies, not just spring allergies.

What do you do about mucus? 

We have already made our home allergy & asthma friendly. 

We also shower before bed (to remove pollen from our hair and skin.)  

And we stock up on supplies.

I buy tissues in bulk at the warehouse store (not kidding.) But not any tissues - the kind with added lotion to prevent me from getting a red nose. 

I also buy allergy medicine in bulk at the warehouse store. Also not kidding...

There are 5 people in our family, and we all have various environmental allergies. 

When my adult kids come home to visit on Easter weekend, I make a big "Easter basket" - but fill it with bulk packages of allergy pills and allergy nose spray. 

I also add a little chocolate and other treats. But when you have adult kids who have everything, might as well put something useful in the Easter basket!

I leave the big basket on a storage shelf, and my kids can resupply when they come home to visit. And they do resupply, year round!

MedicalNewsToday has other helpful information for dealing with phlegm and mucus. 

What are your favorite tips?

Comments