Fun with Steroids!

 


Sometimes I really hate asthma! 

My last article was about being in the ER due to wildfire smoke from California's Dixie fire.Our state is full of smoke, and the air quality level is "red" which means "unhealthy for all".

I was being careful and staying indoors.I kept the AC on in the house, keep the windows closed, and used the recirculating air setting in my car. 

But - I was in a work meeting and the building filled up with smoke. It smelled like a campfire!

 My lungs just couldn't recover. Two days later, I was in the ER.

Steroids in the hospital 

For those of you who have had a severe asthma flare, you have probably had oral steroids in the hospital. They can be given as a liquid, in a shot form, or in an IV.)

It is vital to get the inflammation down quickly in the lungs, and steroids help with that. But it's nasty stuff due to the side effects.

After I was discharged, I had to have a week's worth of oral steroids (prednisone.) Those also have lots of FUN side effects!

One of the worst side effects for me is being really cranky. 

On the drive home from the ER, I told my husband good luck - because it was going to make me mean. 

And he said, "You mean meaner?!"

Ouch! 

It has been a long summer. I am also recovering from a concussion, and the dizzy spells and nausea are awful. 

We have also had a record heatwave - over 21 days above 100 degrees. 

Add to that a valley full of smoke, and my body was really struggling. 

So it's no wonder I'm not my fun self!

Has anyone else struggled with steroids? Either making you "mean" or any other side effects?

Comments