Baby it's cold outside! (And so are my insides!)

 

 
 


 
It's winter, and my lungs are NOT happy. 
 
Did you know that some people with asthma can have asthma attacks from cold air? 
 
This falls under the category of strange - but true! 😥
 
 
"When you breathe in cold, dry air through your mouth, the air doesn't get warmed by your nose first. The cold air goes to your lungs and airways. This can trigger an asthma attack."

What to do?

If cold air is one of your triggers, there are a few things that AAFA suggests.  

You can wrap a scarf around your mouth and nose and breathe through that. This year, I wear a mask almost all of the time, so maybe my mask can take the place of my scarf?

 If you usually go walking or running outside, can you change your workout? What about going to a city rec center and using the indoor track? 

Or be one of those early morning mall walkers?

Does your doctor want you to pre-treat with your inhaler before you go outside? 

Find what works for your body!

What about eating or drinking cold food and drinks? 

This is one of those sneaky asthma triggers that some people haven't heard of. 

Did you know that eating ice cream and yogurt, or drinking smoothies, can cause an asthma attack?

I didn't realize the connection until we were short on office space one year, and my intern was working in my office. One morning, she said, "Did you just eat a yogurt?" 

What a weird question, right?!

I answered yes and she then said, "Every morning when I you eat your yogurt, you start coughing."

Well, huh!

I didn't even realize that! For me, the asthma attacks from eating something cold are pretty mild. Sometimes I need my inhaler, sometimes I don't. It just depends on how fast and hard it hits. 

AAFA has an interesting article about cold foods. They mention eating foods made with liquid nitrogen (apparently it creates a smoke effect on the cold food before they serve it.) 

But they also mention eating other cold foods. AAFA says:


"Cold is a known trigger for asthma. Ingesting cold drinks and foods may cause fleeting mild asthma symptoms, like cough."

If breathing cold air, eating cold food, or drinking very cold drinks are your triggers, talk to your doctor and see what he or she wants you to do. 

You know your body best and what you need.

Anyone else have asthma attacks from cold air? Or cold food or drinks?

 

 


 

Comments