My Kids Actually Listened to Me?!

This falls under the category of "Say it Isn't So!"

Apparently, my kids actually listened to me when I have taught them about eczema, allergies, and asthma.

Crazy, right?!

How did I find this out?

Well, one of my kids actually talked to me. You know - face to face. NOT through text.

It can happen!

Son #1 was training a new employee who had several asthma attacks her first week on the job. My son was concerned by how often she was using her rescue inhaler (quick relief inhaler.)

He told her, "You know.....if you are using your rescue inhaler more than 2 times a week, that means your asthma is not controlled."

I about fell off my chair when he told me that.

He remembered!!

Why can't you use your inhaler more than 2 times a week? Well, it's not that you CAN'T - but it's a clue that there is swelling in your lungs. And you need to talk to your doctor about starting a controller inhaler. A control inhaler will (wait for it....) control the swelling in your lungs.

He remembered everything I have taught him over the last 20 years! I had such a Proud Mama Moment.

How did he remember that? Well, there's a helpful graphic from Baylor University in Texas that can help people remember.

It's called the Rule of 2's


Easy to remember now, isn't it?

With asthma, you want to treat all of the things that happen in the airways. They are:

  1. Inflammation (swelling) in the airway
  2. Mucus is produced
  3. Muscles around the airways tighten
Using a rescue/quick relief inhaler will only release the muscles around the outside of the airway. Your airway will still be swollen and full of mucus.

Every try to blow pool water or air through a pool noodle? There isn't much space in the middle of a pool noodle, right?

That's what happens with the airways. Image trying to breathe through a very tiny pool noodle. There's not not much room to move air through it.

So, for all you parents trying to teach your kids about eczema, allergies and asthma - don't give up!

Sometimes they actually listen to you! I know, I know. Don't pass out!




Comments