Never Get Used to Asthma Attacks!





Well, it's been over 20 years since my 3 kids and I were diagnosed with asthma, and it still rears it's ugly head at really bad times.

Like this morning's commute!

There I am, driving down a 5 lane road at 55 miles per hour and something got me. I have no idea what happened.

Did I pass someone mowing their lawn? Was pollen drawn into my car with the other fresh air?

All I know is that suddenly I felt that little twitch in my throat.

Then it got worse.

Then the coughing started.

Drank water from my water bottle.

Nope.

Grabbed my inhaler and spacer from my purse (which I ALWAYS keep on the passenger seat next to me when I drive.)

** I do recommend pulling over to use your inhaler if you can. I was locked in on all sides with fast traffic and couldn't safely pull over on the shoulder at that speed without putting myself at risk**

One puff. Wait a minute to see if that helps.

Sigh.

Eyes are watering, cough is getting worse.

2nd puff.

Okay, I'm safely in the parking garage at my office.

I'm coughing so hard I almost throw up. I stay in my car.

Belly breathe. Calm down. Let the Albuterol work.

I manage to get control of my coughing and breathing and walk into my building. The Security Guard asks how my weekend went. I manage to croak out that I just had an asthma attack.

He looks startled, but I tell him that I took two puffs of my inhaler and I have to wait for my voice to come back.

Good thing I don't have a conference call this morning.

Here I am in my office, still with cranky lungs.

I checked the pollen count, and it's not elevated.

Is there something on my cabin air filter? Did you know that there is an air filter for the engine, but also an air filter for the air that comes into the car for the driver and passenger? It's called a cabin filter. And it needs to be changed too.

I usually have the cabin filter changed each time I get my oil changed. But just to be on the safe side, I'll be changing my car's  cabin air filter when I get home from work. Maybe the filter is full of pollen?

My hands have stopped shaking now, so I can type this entry.

Most people think you take a puff of your inhaler and you are magically better. Just like that.

Funny...... if only.

For me, my lungs can be cranky for several days after an asthma attack. My lungs are still burning and tight. And my lungs will be for a few days.

Anyone else have an asthma attack out of the blue at a really bad time?

Keep breathing my friends!

Comments