Off to college!






I was talking to a young mom the other day, and she said "It must be nice to have college aged kids, now you don't have to worry about them."

If she only knew that parenting doesn't end when your kids go to college!

I hope I have taught my kids everything they should know. 

I hope they are managing their asthma, allergies and food allergies. 

But as a parent, you still get those phone calls. "I feel like I have pneumonia again, I think I need to go to Urgent Care."  "I hurt my hand at work, what do I do?"


Health Center on campus
 
Both universities my kids attend have medical clinics for students and faculty. And they are cheap! A co-pay for a visit was only $10. They have medical care and mental health services (if you have kids in college, you know how stressful it can be for them and how many kids have anxiety and/or depression.) During the campus tour, I made sure I pointed out the clinic to my kids, and that if anything happens while they are campus, they can stop there for help.

Health Insurance Card
 
Our kids are still covered under our insurance until age 26, so they have their own health insurance card for doctor visits, Urgent Care clinics, or the emergency room.

Coverage 
 
We let the kids know which Urgent Cares and hospital systems are covered under our insurance. I don't know if you have ever been stuck with out of network care, but it can be expensive! So, we showed the kids where clinics were located near their apartment.

Pharmacies
 
We go to a chain pharmacy, so we can always get refills - no matter where we are. I had the kids find the closest pharmacy to their apartment so they could transfer their prescriptions. 
 
Adulting can be so much fun! 
 
Have you found any ways to prepare your kids for college or being out on their own? 



Comments