Full moons and asthma







We are going to have a full moon again tonight, only today is Friday the 13th, so it's supposed to be extra spooky!

I didn't think much about the full moon until I was talking with a friend (who is a GREAT yoga instructor!) She always gives a short massage or positive thought at the end of yoga.

One thing she said was that our bodies are like a full moon. Sometimes we are definitely "full" and feeling great! You know the days - coworkers are getting along, no one is fighting at home, dinner turns out great and you have lots of energy.

And then there are days when we are like the moon - when it's just a sliver (usually called the crescent moon.) Those are the days when I want to smash my alarm clock with a shoe. I want to stay in bed and skip work, but I can't. So I hope I can just get through the day at work, go through the drive through for dinner, and then head to bed.

And it's the same way with asthma. Some days I don't even think about my lungs - they are like a full moon. Big, beautiful and strong. I can do anything I want, and they don't complain.

Then there are days when my lungs are like the crescent moon. I'm breathing - but not very well. My chest is tight, my lungs are burning, and I'm coughing. Usually this is when I have bronchitis or pneumonia. 
 
 The moon goes through stages. Full moon, crescent moon, and back to a big, beautiful full moon again. 

It's the same way with asthma, we may have a bad day (or week, or two), but slowly our lungs will get back to normal.

Yoga Friend wants us to try to think positive. We are going to have bad days and good days, but everybody does. Not just with family, coworkers, drivers, etc. But even with our lungs.

But they will bounce back and we can appreciate the good days when we are breathing well.

Now - who's going to take pictures of that gorgeous full moon tonight??
 

Comments