September Epidemic - here we go again!







Well, it's almost Back to School Time. And with all those kids crowded in one classroom, there are bound to be parents who send their kids to school when they are sick.

That means lots of germs floating around the classroom. 

And kids who don't cover their mouth when they cough and sneeze.

And wipe their nose with their hand and then touch everything in the classroom....

Hello germs!

 I would always dread Back to School Time because my kids would always get sick at the start of the school year, then I would get sick too (since I also have asthma.)

Colds and asthma are not a good mix. 

National Jewish Health says that 80% of childhood asthma attacks are caused by colds

And 50% of adults suffer asthma attacks from colds

Hospitalizations for asthma are so common when school starts that the "September Epidemic of asthma" is known nationwide!

And 25% of kids who end up in the hospital for asthma do so in the month of September!

Okay, so how do we avoid adding to those statistics? National Jewish Health has some ideas!


(Copyright© National Jewish Health. All rights reserved. Used by permission.)
 
  • Stay home if we are sick! (I tell people that it may only be a cold for them, but for my kids - it would be ANOTHER hospital stay.)
  • Sneeze into your elbow (ever have someone sneeze into their hand and then want to shake your hand? Or they touch the doorknobs, printer at work, etc?)
  • Wash your hands after you blow your nose
  • Use hand sanitizer or antiseptic hand wipes (I keep both of those in my purse and car)
  • Wash your hands frequently
  • Use your sleeve or paper towel to touch doorknobs or hand rails 
  • Make sure you don't skip doses of your daily, controller inhaler
  • Check your rescue inhaler to see if it has plenty of puffs left - and take it everywhere you go!
  • Stock up on tubing kits and Albuterol vials for your nebulizer

Anyone else dread Back to School time? Knowing your kids are going to get sick again?

Any tips on keeping your kids healthy?

Comments

  1. This is all excellent advice. However, finding hand sanitizer or antiseptic wipes that are unscented has not been possible for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know what you mean! They can have a strong scent. But I haven't had an asthma attack yet from the hand sanitizer or antiseptic wipes.

    I use them daily, and have been able to stay healthy. I make sure my family uses them too.

    When we travel, my family isn't as careful with avoiding germs as I am. So, they get sick, end up with pneumonia or influenza, and then I get it (that happened 4 times in one year!)

    So, I would rather use the hand sanitizer and wipes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment