"Use this inhaler in an emergency"





I was talking to someone the other day, and they just had their doctor prescribe an inhaler "for an emergency."

The wording "emergency" really bothers me because people think they have to be gasping for air before they use their inhaler. I wish Doctors wouldn't call it that!

Most doctors are moving away from "emergency inhaler" and instead using the term "reliever or rescue inhaler".

It's surprising to me how many people won't use their Albuterol inhaler because they think "it's not an emergency......."


In a perfect world, you would have an Asthma Action Plan (AAP) that TELLS you when you use your reliever inhaler. American Lung Association has an AAP that says if you have:
Some problems breathing:
  Cough, wheeze, or chest tight 
 Problems working or playing 
 Wake at night
Peak Flow Meter
Between 50% - 79% of your personal best
then

Quick-reliefMedicine(s)
Use: Albuterol/levalbuterol _____ puffs, every 4 hours as needed

(Use how many puffs of your reliever that your doctor prescribes.) For me, I usually take 2 puffs of my reliever inhaler and I'll feel better in a few minutes.

I don't wait and hope it feels better! My symptoms will usually start with a little twitch or tickle in my throat, then move on to a cough. I try to use my inhaler at the first sign of an asthma attack. If I wait, it will be worse, and I'll start coughing so hard I'll feel like I'm going to throw up. And I'll be gasping for air and will need to use my Albuterol in a nebulizer. 

There are times when asthma can be an emergency. Mayo Clinic says:

When to see a doctor

Seek emergency treatment
Severe asthma attacks can be life-threatening. Work with your doctor to determine what to do when your signs and symptoms worsen — and when you need emergency treatment. Signs of an asthma emergency include:
  • Rapid worsening of shortness of breath or wheezing
  • No improvement even after using a quick-relief inhaler, such as albuterol
  • Shortness of breath when you are doing minimal physical activity
 
Talk to your doctor and see when he wants you to use your inhaler or go to the Emergency Room for treatment. Get to know your asthma and what's right for you!

Comments