Bruises and asthma








I'm one of those really uncoordinated people. In fact, I joke that I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. 

I used to be graceful - I was a dancer and ice skater when I was young. But, the older I get the clumsier I am. Of course, that could be that my eyes are getting worse as I'm getting older!

These days, it's not uncommon for me to round a corner and hit my leg or toe on the kitchen cabinet or furniture. I also have fallen UP the stairs. Anyone can fall DOWN the stairs, but it takes talent to fall UP the stairs!

So, enter my bruise covered legs. Most of the time, I don't notice it. But sometimes if I wear a skirt at work, someone will say, "Where did you get those bruises?!" And most of the time - I have no idea!

Once in a while, it will really hurt when I hit my leg on something (like when I was trying to pull my suitcase off the conveyor belt at the airport before the cranky TSA agent yelled at me because I was taking too long to pick it up.) So I know something like that is going to leave a bruise.

But, how can I have so many other bruises and not know where they came from? I remember hearing that inhaled corticosteroids (the kind of inhaler you take every day) can cause bruising. 

 There are several studies that show that being female, older, and using a corticosteroid inhaler makes it more likely that you will have bruises.

There are other causes of bruising too, which could be a lot more serious. Like leukemia, Factor X Deficiency, hemophilia, etc. 
 
So be sure to talk to your doctor if you notice a lot of bruising.
 
Luckily, I had a physical recently, so I know my that my blood levels are okay. So, for me - my bruises on my legs are just a side effect of my inhaled corticosteroid. And me being clumsy.
 
If you notice bruises - talk to your doctor just to make sure there isn't anything more serious going on. And let them know if you are taking an inhaled corticosteroid.
 
 
 
 

Comments