Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved



Thursday, June 15, 2017

Losing my voice with asthma

(Shutterstock image)

This falls under the category of strange but true - losing my voice with asthma.

And this happens to be my husband's favorite thing! Ha ha.

When I have a severe asthma attack, or get bronchitis or pneumonia, I lose my voice. It usually happens after a bad coughing spell.

I can't speak above a whisper. 

The first time it happened, I was really surprised. It doesn't seem to last very long -  if I'm sick, it will last for a few days.

This was a problem this spring when I had bronchitis. I couldn't call Asthma Doc's office to make a doctor's appointment, because they wouldn't be able to hear me on the phone.

So, I had to have whisper to daughter Kitty that I needed her to call Hubby. She told him what was happening, then he called Asthma Doc's office to make an appointment for me. Sigh.

If I have a sudden asthma attack and use my inhaler, I can also lost my voice. It will usually last for a few hours. Then, just as suddenly as when I lose my voice, it will come back. My voice will start to crack and then just come back. 

I feel like I should be in an episode of Brady Bunch when Peter goes through puberty and his voice is changing.

It wasn't always this way. 

This just started about 5 years ago. No idea why.

When I tried to look up reasons online, all I could find was a topic about Laryngitis on WebMd.

I don't like it really fits this situation.

Anyone else have problems losing their voice with an illness or sudden asthma attack?


No comments:

Post a Comment