Peanut patch showing good results!




I'm one of those parents who has to be VERY careful when I am shopping at the grocery store. I have a seafood allergy and Son #2 has a tree nut allergy.

There is hope for those allergic to peanuts. There is a Peanut Allergy Therapy trial where patients wear a patch that releases peanut allergen into the skin. I just saw the story on CBS News.

The idea behind the study is that those wearing the patch would slowly build up their tolerance over the year. About 1/2 of the people could eat up to 4 peanuts at the end of the year.

I know what you are thinking.....4 peanuts?! Well, when you are severely allergic and ONE peanut can cause a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) that can kill you - yeah, it's a big deal! 

The doctor said there were local reactions, but no systemic reactions. What does that mean? That the patients may get a welt on their back from the patch, but that it didn't cause any other symptoms that go through the whole body (swelling in the throat,  difficulty swallowing, vomiting, hives, etc.)

They are coming up with cool stuff all the time. 

I hope it helps those kids with peanut allergies!!

Comments

  1. I think very often about people from the West and Central Africa, where peanuts are common and basic ingredients in local cuisine. They don't have so strong and so common allergy to peanuts. Maybe there is something wrong with peanuts, which are grown in the USA or Europe?

    Greetings from rainy south Poland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make you wonder what happens in other countries. I wonder if it's similar to the "farm theory" where kids exposed to farm animals are less likely to have allergies and asthma. Supposedly if they are young and are around animals, their bodies will get used to it and desensitize. That's the theory anyway - it didn't work for me.

      I had cats, dogs, rabbits, etc when I was growing up. And I am still allergic to animals :(

      Delete

Post a Comment