Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved



Monday, February 3, 2014

Desensitize kids to peanuts?


The results are out! If you are allergic to peanuts, it is possible to be desensitized. BUT it has to be done in a doctor's office -and VERY carefully.

A new report from CNN Health reports that oral immunotherapy (swallowing tiny amounts of peanut flour over time - and gradually increasing the amounts) can actually desensitize allergic people to peanuts! It's not a cure, but it does make it so their bodies are more likely to tolerate the peanuts. That means they won't have to panic and worry about an anaphylaxis reaction if someone accidentally eats food that has peanuts in it. WebMD has a section about anaphylaxis.

Nuts are sneaky, and can hide in bakery products, cookies, ice cream, etc. Son #2 is allergic to tree nuts, so we have to be VERY careful anytime we are eating out.
 
This study ONLY worked on peanuts, I'm hoping the research will extend to tree nuts. 

To maintain desensitization, researchers recommend that after oral immunotherapy is complete,  patients will have to eat peanuts every day.

You can read more about the study in the CNN article. I'm amazed the things that researchers can help with. It's not a cure, but it can reduce symptoms.

Now, what can they do about those of us that are addicted to chocolate.......

 

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment