I store tissues like a squirrel stores nuts!



 

 


 

I am very excited for spring! Like most of the country, we've had record cold temperatures this winter. In fact, it's STILL colder than normal here. I'm determined to switch to my summer wardrobe, even if wearing sandals to work means I can't feel my toes! Yes, they are numb. But I feel happy and full of spring inside, so that's all that matters!

I have also noticed the pollen is out already. The whole family (Hubby and I and all three teenagers) have allergies. So we go through A LOT of boxes of tissues. I buy Puffs With Lotion so my nose isn't red all the time from blowing it. I stash tissues in the house, car and my purse. Why is it that no one else in the family carries tissues? Why is the mom the one that has to cart everything around in an over sized purse for everyone?!

I'm also getting strange looks from people at the grocery store as I sneeze my way up one aisle and down another. When they look at me, I say "allergies" and move on.

Lucky people. How would it be to be unaffected by plants, flowers, trees, bushes and animals?

Even though we take allergy medicine and the teenagers have all done/are doing allergy shots, we're still miserable. Sometimes just taking allergy medicine isn't enough, allergy shots (immunotherapy) helps your body build up a resistance to allergens. The American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) has information about how allergy shots work. 

AAAAI also has some tips about other ways to deal with pollen. 

We have found a few things that help us:

  • I always drive with the windows up in my car 
  • I keep the windows to the house closed too 
  • We use central air rather than a swamp cooler
  • We shower at night to remove pollen from our hair and skin
Spring is a beautiful time of year. You can still enjoy it, just take your allergy medicine, store tissues like a squirrel stores nuts, and talk to your doctor about allergy shots.

Excuse me, I have to go blow my nose. Again. 

Comments

  1. Hi!! I am a mom of a 6 year old little boy who is allergic to everything under the sun, or so it seems!! :( I was wondering if you have ever tried essential oils for yourself or your family??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your little guy. It can be frustrating.

      I have many friends who use essential oils, but unfortunately, they can also trigger asthma attacks.

      So we're sticking with what works for us :)

      I hope they are helping your son though!

      Delete

Post a Comment