Can't Afford Asthma Inhalers?

 

With a family of 5 (4 with asthma) we often had a hard time affording our asthma inhalers. 

We couldn't afford the copay for my son's pricey asthma biologic and I didn't know what to do. Somehow I found NeedyMeds.  

This is NOT a sponsored post, I'm just sharing a resource I found with others who are also struggling to pay for prescriptions. 

The NeedyMeds website changes often and is a one stop shop to find: 

  • Coupons, rebates, or co-pay help for medicine 
  • Affordable medical clinics, dental clinics, behavioral health clinics, or substance use disorder clinics 
  • Education about your disease   

 The website was hard for me to figure out, so I'm sharing what I learned 

Finding help paying for prescriptions 

 


This is the main page for NeedyMeds  

Then I click on "Savings" on the top bar which takes me to "Search Drugs"  

 

You can search by Brand Name Drug - or Generic Drug 
 

For this example, I clicked on Brand Name and typed in "Ventolin". The search for Ventolin showed: 

  • About Ventolin (education)
  • Drug Discount Card Pricing
  • Patient Assistance Programs   
Click on whatever you need.  

Finding Free/Low-Cost/Sliding Scale Clinics

It's easy to enter your zip code and find a medical, dental, behavioral health or substance use disorder clinic near you. 

My daughter aged off our insurance this year, and as a poor college student, she couldn't afford to pay $1,000 cash for two inhalers. So we searched for a low cost clinic near us. 

To find a clinic, just click on the "Savings" box on the top ribbon. Then click on Finding Free/Low-Cost/Sliding Scale Clinics

 


Click on any of the options for what you need. We clicked on Medical Clinics and found a low cost clinic by typing in our zip code and how many miles my daughter was willing to travel. For you, it can depend on if there is a clinic near a subway stop, near a bus stop, or you may have your own car and can drive yourself.   

My daughter was able to afford a low copay to see a doctor, and then paid $4 for each of her inhalers, for a grand total of $8 - instead of $1,000! 

I hope sharing this resource helped. If so, let me know in the comments! 

Hugs, 

Andrea  

 

 

 
 

Comments