Tips For Going Back to School with Asthma
Here we go again - my friends are posting pics of their kids first day back of school.
My kids are grown up now, but I remember buying back to school clothes, shoes, and school supplies.
But when you have kids with a chronic medical disease, the there is a lot more to do to prepare for school. I needed to make sure my kids with asthma were safe.
1. Meet my kid's teachers
When my kids were little, I was always the first parent in the classroom to talk to their teacher during back to school night. It was vital that my kid's teachers know their medical background (having severe asthma and multiple hospitalizations.)
I volunteered with the PTA, and with three kids with asthma, the teachers knew us, knew about severe asthma, ER trips, hospital admissions, being discharged on oxygen, and missing school.
I would give each teacher my cell number and tell them to call me if my child was having an asthma attack. I always gave them a handout about the signs and symptoms of asthma.
And I let them know where my son or daughter kept their inhaler in their backpack. There are so many pockets, I wanted the teacher to know where it was - just in case. My kids were old enough to know when they were having an asthma attack and also knew how to use their inhaler by themselves.
2. Drop by the school nurse's office
I was on a first name basis with the school nurse. She wasn't in each school that often, about 2-3 hours per week, but she knew us! (That's a bad thing, isn't it?) Kind of like when your mechanic knows you and your car.....
Our school nurse knew the medical history of all of my kids. I would meet with her and show her the kid's backpacks and which back pack pocket the kids used to store their inhalers.
I would also let her know if one of my kids was in the hospital, when they were discharged, and if they were home recuperating with supplemental oxygen. I also let her know their return to school date.
When one of my kids returned to school, she would keep an extra eye on them.
3. Complete an asthma action plan and self administration form
Did you know that EVERY state in the U.S. has laws on the books that allows students to carry their inhaler and use it when needed?
American Lung Association has an interactive map so you can look at the law in your state.
You and your doctor can decide if your child is old enough/responsible enough to use their inhaler at school. If so, you and the doctor sign the forms and return them to the school nurse. She'll make a copy for herself, and one for my kid's teacher.
No need to keep the inhaler locked up in the front office!
4. Stock albuterol inhalers in schools
For over 20 years, our state has had a "Stock Epinephrine" law on the books. Since students may have an allergic reaction to food for the first time at school, this life saving medicine is available at the front office for anyone having anaphylaxis
Our state (and many others) also have "Stock Albuterol inhalers" at the front office for anyone having an asthma attack. The front office has an albuterol inhaler and a flat foldable disposable valved holding chambers (made out of cardboard).
Photo from School Health
That means they can keep an albuterol inhaler at the front office, and buy a pack of disposable valved holding chambers that don't allow any germs to go back into the inhaler. It's a germ free way to use the inhaler for multiple students throughout the school year.
If students forget their inhaler at home, the front office can let them use the stock albuterol inhaler if they have an asthma attack.
It could prevent a trip to the emergency room, and the student can go back to class.
5. Take a deep breath
You've got this! 💙
You, your pediatrician, and school nurse can make a great team to help your child during the school year.
Hugs,
Andrea


Comments
Post a Comment